of the International Composers’ Competition
EUROPEAN CAPITAL OF CULTURE WROCŁAW 2016
The Regulations of the International Composers’ Competition of the EUROPEAN CAPITAL OF CULTURE WROCŁAW 2016, hereafter referred to as ‘the Regulations’, specify the rules and procedures of the International Composers’ Competition organised as part of the EUROPEAN CAPITAL OF CULTURE WROCŁAW 2016 programme, hereafter referred to as ‘the Competition’.
- SUBJECT OF THE COMPETITION
- The subject of the Competition is a symphonic piece inspired by Wrocław’s culture, history or landscape.
- The submitted piece will be an original composition that has not been performed before, awarded or published.
- The score will include maximum: three flutes (including piccolo flute), three oboes (including English horn), three clarinets (including bass clarinet), three bassoons (including contrabassoon), four French horns, three trumpets, three trombones, one tuba, percussion (six performers) and string quintet (188.8.131.52.6); apart from that it is possible to use one additional instrument selected from the following: harp, harpsichord, piano, accordion. No other instruments, performers or sound sources will be used; computer music, live electronics, etc. are also excluded.
- The duration of the piece will be from 15 to 20 minutes.
- ORGANISER AND PATRON OF THE COMPETITION
- The Competition is organised by the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław.
- The patronage of the Competition comes from and the prizes are offered by the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage.
- The Competition and the Organiser’s offices are at: pl. Jana Pawła II nr 2, 50-043 Wrocław, Office for Promotion and Events, the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wroclaw.
- The Regulations and the Organiser’s contact are available on the Competition website: mkk.wroc.pl, and on the Organiser’s website at: www.amuz.wroc.pl.
- APPLICATION FOR THE COMPETITION
- The Competition is open to composers of all ages and nationalities who:
– will send in the score of the piece, the filled-in and signed Application Form, and the proof of payment of the competition fee in accordance with the rules and terms specified in these Regulations,
– in the case of winning the Grand Prize, will undertake to prepare performance materials and authorize a third party indicated by the Organiser to use the composition and sheet music materials (including the score and parts) for the period of one year within the date of the results announcement, in the fields of use specified in the Application Form, for the purpose of premiering the composition.
- Application for the Competition will be made by sending the score, the Application Form and the proof of payment of the competition fee to the Organiser’s address in accordance with the rules and terms specified in these Regulations.
- SCORE OF THE PIECE
- The score of the piece will be marked with an emblem and sent anonymously together with a sealed envelope marked with the same emblem containing the Application Form filled in by the participant. The Application Form is specified in the Appendix and contains the following information and declarations:
- the composer’s first name and surname,
- date and place of birth,
- address, telephone number, e-mail address,
- title and duration of the composition,
- the composer’s short biographical note and recent photo
- declarations stating that the participant:
- accepts the Regulations of the Competition,
- has full rights to the piece and declares that the piece is original and has never been performed or published,
- consents to the publication of their image in the case they are awarded a prize or honourable mention,
- will hand over all performance materials (the score and orchestral parts) necessary to premiere the composition and to hold further possible performances,
- authorizes a third party indicated by the Organiser to use the sheet music materials, including the score and performance materials, in the fields of use specified in the Application Form,
- voluntarily submits their personal data and consents to such data being processed by the Organiser for the purposes related to the organization of the Competition.
- The score will be fully computer-edited.
- The score will be submitted in the following formats: a clear printout, no smaller than A4 and no larger than A3, and an electronic recording of a PDF format (Adobe® Reader® standard).
- The title page of the score will contain the following information: ‘Composed for the City of Wrocław – the European Capital of Culture 2016 – as part of the International Composers’ Competition organised by the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław’.
- The applications will be sent to the following address:
- The Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław
Office for Promotion and Events
Jana Pawła II nr 2
The envelope with the score will bear the following note: COMPOSERS’ COMPETITION ESK 2016.
- The deadline for sending the score of the piece is 21 November 2016, and on this date at the latest the score of the composition, the Application Form and the proof of payment of the competition fee should arrive at the Organiser’s office.
- The score submitted for the Competition shall not be returned and becomes the property of the Organiser, except if the composer of the piece that has not been awarded files an application for a return of the score. In such a case, the score shall be returned at the composer’s cost.
- COMPETITION FEE
- The competition fee is PLN 150. For participants who cannot make a transfer in PLN, the participation fee amounts 40 euro.
- The fee should be transferred to the Organiser’s bank account held with Bank Zachodni WBK. Transfer details:
Bank name : Bank Zachodni WBK S.A.,
Bank address: Rynek 9/11, 50-950 Wrocław, Poland,
Account no / IBAN: PL 40 1090 2398 0000 0001 0205 0428,
SWIFT CODE: WBKPPLPP,
Beneficiary Customer : The Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław,
Customer Address : Pl. Jana Pawła II nr 2, 50-043 Wrocław, Poland
with a note: name and surname of the participant, INTERNATIONAL COMPOSERS’ COMPETITION ESK 2016.
- JURY AND PRIZES
- The Jury consists of:
CHEN Yi (China, USA),
Ivan FEDELE (Italy),
Zygmunt KRAUZE (Poland, Jury Chairman),
François-Bernard MÂCHE (France),
Grażyna PSTROKOŃSKA-NAWRATIL (Poland).
- The decisions of the Jury are independent, final and irrevocable.
- The prizes total PLN 200,000. The grand prize is PLN 100,000. Other prizes and/or honourable mentions shall be awarded at the discretion of the Jury. The Jury shall also decide on the amount. All prizes and commendations are subject to taxation in accordance with the Polish law.
- ADJUDICATION OF THE COMPETITION AND ANNOUNCEMNT OF THE RESULTS
- The adjudication will be published no later than on 10 December 2016.
- The results of the Competition shall be announced by the Organizer on the Competition website at: mkk.wroc.pl, and on the Organizer’s website at: www.amuz.wroc.pl.
- FINAL PROVISIONS
- Submitting the application is equivalent to the acceptance of these Regulations.
- The compositions that do not meet the requirements specified in these Regulations shall not be admitted to the Competition.
- The Competition Organiser reserves the right to change these Regulations and the schedule of the Competition, and to cancel the Competition owing to reasons beyond their control.
- Any disputes shall be settled in accordance with the Polish version of the Regulations.
- Any matters not provided for herein shall be governed by the provisions of the Polish law.
- These Regulations shall enter into force on 2 November 2016.
Appendix to the Regulations
of the International Composers’ Competition
of the European Capital of Culture Wrocław 2016
FOR THE INTERNATIONAL COMPOSERS’ COMPETITON
OF THE EUROPEAN CAPITAL OF CULTURE WROCŁAW 2016
|Date and place of birth
|Short biographical note:
Attachment : composer’s photo
I submit the above mentioned composition to the International Composers’ Competition organised by the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music In Wrocław as part of the EUROPEAN CAPITAL OF CULTURE WROCŁAW 2016 event, and I hereby declare that:
I consent to my personal data being processed by the Competition Organiser pursuant to the Act of 29 August 1997 on the Protection of Personal Data (Journal of Laws of 2014, item 1182, as amended), such personal data being a prerequisite for the participation in the Competition. I confirm that I have been informed by the Organisers that:
- I am familiar with the Regulations of the Competition and shall comply with them;
- as the composer I hold full and exclusive copyright (personal and property rights) to the submitted piece;
- the submitted piece is original and has never been performed or published;
- if I am awarded a prize or an honourable mention, I consent to the publication of the submitted photo with my image by any means, without prior approval, for the Organiser’s promotional and archival purposes;
- if I am awarded grand prize, I undertake to hand over the performance materials to the Organiser by 31 January 2017 and I grant the Organiser, free of charge, the right to:
- use the score and performance materials of the submitted piece for the purpose of premiering the composition, holding its further performances and recording those performances by the Organiser and the Witold Lutosławski National Forum of Music in Wrocław – a cultural institution of the city of Wrocław co-run by the Minister of Culture and National Heritage, the Municipality of Wrocław and the District of Lower Silesia, entered into the Register of Cultural Institutions kept by the Municipality of Wrocław under number 38/2014 – for the period of one year within the date of the results announcement,
- to use the recordings of the composition in the following fields of use:
- recording and reproducing – to make a digital recording of sound and images and publish it on a CD and/or DVD, or other media,
- trading in the copies of the recorded composition – to market, lend or lease the original and the copies;
- distributing the recording in a manner different than specified above – to broadcast, rebroadcast and play back the recording, as well as make it publicly available on selected websites.
- the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław, pl. Jana Pawła II nr 2, 50-043 Wrocław, is the administrator of the personal data contained herein,
- the above mentioned personal data will be processed for the purposes connected with the organization of the Competition and will not be shared with parties other than the Competition Organiser,
- I have the right of access the above mentioned personal data and the right to correct it,
- submitting the data is voluntary; however, a refusal to submit the data will result in being ineligible for participation in the Competition.
||Participant’s legible signature
Files to download: